Arrival in Lübeck
This cycle tour along the Baltic Coast starts in an old and gracious Hanseatic town that was named a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1987. People will know you are talking about Lübeck if you mention the Holsten Gate, marzipan and Thomas Mann. Bite into a yummy fish roll to start your holiday mood!
You start the day with a boat trip on the Trave to Travemünde. There you can visit Germany‘s oldest lighthouse before continuing on the first section along the Baltic Coast through Brooker Wald nature reserve to Boltenhagen. From the cliffs you have views over the entire bay. You either spend the night directly at the coast in Boltenhagen or a few kilometres behind the coast in Hohen Schönberg.
The Baltic spa resort of Boltenhagen is known for its 5 km long sandy beach - the whole family will enjoy. Why not hop straight into the water? If you spent the night in Hohen Schönberg, it‘s only a short cycle trip of approx. 10 km to Boltenhagen. If you prefer more cultural entertainment, we can recommend visiting Bothmer Castle in Klütz. The Baroque castle with the wonderful Feston avenue leading up to it is quite spectacular and a great photo opportunity.
You continue, mostly along the coast, cycling through pretty, picturesque towns just like the old fishermen village Hoben. The whole village of Hoben was put under monumental protection, a must-see! Along the bay of Wismar you pedal on relaxed into the old Hanseatic town of Wismar.
Day trip to Poel Island
A boat takes you right from Wismar to Poel island. Once there, follow the circular tour around the entire island, which tempts you with long, beautiful sandy beaches and a dip into the cool wet blue. You can return either by boat or leave Poel by its dam by bike and cycle the 10 km to Wismar.
On the way to Kühlungsborn, cliffs and beautiful beaches alternate along your path, offering great views or great swimming. If you‘re staying in Bad Doberan, the train „Molli“, a steam-driven train, takes you there from Kühlungsborn.
If you stayed in Kühlungsborn, you start today with a trip with „Molli“ to Heiligendamm. On the way to Warnemünde, you cycle through the „haunted forest“ - woods that got their name because of the weird and wonderful shapes of the trees. You soon reach Warnemünde, where you can relax on the widest expanse of beach on the Baltic coast. If you are staying in Rostock, just follow the Warnow river into town.
Today you‘re spoiled for choice in Warnemünde and Rostock. Would you like to bring your cycling holiday to an end on the beach or experience seals at close in the research centre, Hohe Düne? A great experience for young and old is a trip to Rostock, where you can watch the gigantic cruise ships entering Rostock harbour.
The route does have a simple guidance. The bike tour is mainly on low-traffic roads as well as traffic-free, asphalted and freight routes. There are only a few small differences in altitude to overcome.
Category A: 3***- and 4**** hotels and Category B: 2**- and 3*** hotels
Child prices valid if they are staying in same room as 2 full price adults. Charges for children under 6 (for example Child bed) to be paid for at the time.
- 8 overnight stays in your selected category incl. breakfast
- Boat trip Lübeck – Travemünde incl. bike
- Boat trip Wismar – Poel Island and back incl. bike
- Train ride with „Molli“ Kühlungsborn – Heiligendamm – Bad Doberan incl. bike
- Luggage transfer between the hotels
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel information 1 x per room (with route maps or overview maps, route description, tourist attractions, important telephone numbers)
- Service hotline
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- Ferry trip Travemünde – Priwall, approx. EUR 2,50/person incl. bike
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!
- Fly to Hamburg and then take the train in approx. 1,5 hours to Lübeck.
- Arrival by train to Lübeck and in a few minutes walking or by taxi to the hotel.
- Parking: public car parcs approx. EUR 10/day, no reservation possible, hotel parking spaces on request.
- Return by train in approx. 2 hours to Lübeck.
- No minimum age.
- Requirements: Basic fitness and cycling skills. A route ideal for families.
- The route does have a simple guidance. The bike tour is mainly on low-traffic roads as well as traffic-free, asphalted and freight routes. There are only a few small differences in altitude to overcome.