Arrival in Lienz
The sunny town of Lienz welcomes you. Enjoy the marvellous backdrop of the Lienz-Dolomites surrounding you and soak up a few rays whilst strolling through the charming town with its Mediterranean flair.
Lienz – Toblach – Lienz
You start very leisurely with a train ride to Italy! Since the Drau-cycle path and hence your cycle holiday starts in Toblach, situated immediately after the Italian border. Before you make your way through the narrow Puster-valley along the Drau, which is still very unspoilt here, you stil have the opportunity in Toblach to take a detour to a natural lake for a swim. But even if you want to start cycling straight away, there are still plenty of chances for some swimming fun located directly en route with the adventure pool in Innichen, the leisure centre in Assling and the ‚Dolomitenbad‘-pool in Lienz. But we also recommend to save some time to visit the ‚Wichtelpark‘ Sillian and the water adventure park ‚Garlitzenklamm‘. Had enough of cycling? Today’s tour can be easily cut short by train.
Lienz – Berg/Greifenburg
Have you sampled the diverse cuisine of Lienzyet? We highly recommend you at least try the „Osttiroler Schlipfkrapfen“ or the „Tiroler Knödel“, before saying goodbye to the hussle and bussle of the traditional markets in Lienz. Now you cycle on ancient Roman trade routes through the picturesque Upper Drau-river valley. Palaces, ruins and castles are testimony over and over of ancient times. However also away from the route there is lots to discover: for instance the adventure pool in Oberdrauburg, the Drau-river oasis Dellach with a giant tree house, water experience trail, climbing park and more in Greifenburg. A cycling stage packed with adventure!
You continue gleefully through blooming wetlands, rural farmland and neat, cultivated landscape always following the river Drau all the way to Spittal. You pass cosy villages, cycle across historic market squares and race through cool wooded scenery. In Möllbrücke you get to visit the adventure pool and enjoy a 50-metre long tower-slide, then for the final few kilometres you pass through the ‚Drauenland‘ with a natural pond and reach Spittal. There is still time left to visit the ‚Sportbad Drautalperle‘ or simply enjoy a stroll through the enchanting historic centre of today’s Day Finish. Also Lake Millstätter See is only a stone’s throw away!
Spittal – Villach
Today the marvellous scenery of the lower Drau-river valley awaits! Therefore you leave the cultural town of Spittal behind you now and continue cycling along the dams of the river Drau all the way to Villach. Along the easy cycling route we recommend you take a quick break in Molzbichl and visit the Carantana Museum. Here you can learn a lot about the origins of Carinthia’s first settlers. On hot days a detour to the outdoor pool in Paternion or to the natural pool in Puch provides a welcome cooling off in the lovely water. However do not spend too much time there though, since as a finale the ‚cosy capital of the Drau-cycle path‘ Villach awaits. How convenient that you get to spend not one but a total of two nights there.
Carinthia‘s Thermal springs, diverse playgrounds, adventure Mount Affenberg, the town museum and lots more – the town of Villach offers so many opportunities for exciting experiences. Today however you are back on your bike again and visit one of the most popular lakes around Villach. Depending on how you feel and on your stamina you cycle around Lake Ossiacher See and get to discover the climbing forest or embark on a trip to Lake Faaker See and enjoy one of the family-friendly lakeside lidos. No matter what you decide to do: a stupendous cycling ay with lots of fun for the entire family along the warm lakes is guaranteed!
Mostly you cycle on very well-maintained and throughout signposted cycle paths on asphalt, sand or fine gravel, running mostly directly along the Drau riverbank. In sections also on side roads with very little traffic. Routes can be cut short by train rides.
Category: 3***- and 4****- hotels, inns and B&Bs
Child prices valid when staying in a room with 2 full-paying adults. Fee for children under the age of 6 (i.e. child’s bed/cot) payable on site.
- 6 overnight stays as stated, breakfast included
- 1x train ride from Lienz – Toblach, bike included
- Luggage transfer from one hotel to the
- Personal welcome meeting (German, English)
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel information 1x per room (German, English, French) with route maps, route description,..
- Service hotline
- Half-board evening meal (mostly multi-course, sometimes outside the property, payable with voucher)
- Train ride from either Mittelwald or Thal to Lienz approx. EUR 7,- per person, bike included, payable on site
- Return transfer by minibus to Lienz in the morning possible on request, cost approx. EUR 65,- per person, bike included, payable on site, reservation necessary
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!
- Arrival by plane in Klagenfurt, Innsbruck or Salzburg.
- Arrival by train in Lienz and then a few minutes’ walk to the hotel.
- Parking: underground hotel car park cost approx. EUR 8 per day, payable on site, no reservation possible. Public car park in Lienz approx. EUR 13,- per week, payable on site, no reservation possible. Parking spaces free of charge at the edge of town, no reservation possible.
- Return train journey from Villach in approx. 1.5 hours to Lienz.
- No minimum age.
- Prerequisites: good basic fitness level and cycling skills. The route is also suited to families with older children due to the slightly longer daily tours.
- Mostly you cycle on very well-maintained and throughout signposted cycle paths on asphalt, sand or fine gravel, running mostly directly along the Drau riverbank. In sections also on side roads with very little traffic. Routes can be cut short by train rides.