Horse & Cart Tours East Switzerland
Travel by horse & cart near Lake Constance.
- 5 Days / 4 Nights
- Self-guided tour
- Minimum age: 6 years
Arrival in Schlatt
At 2pm you will meet your instructor at the stables. Our instructor will show you how to correctly attach your horse to the cart and how to give the horse the correct orders such as how to steer and brake. Afterwards you can enjoy the rest of the day around the campfire. After a night in a shared room you will start your journey by horse and cart the next morning.
Schlatt – Hemishofen
Hemishofen – Stammheim
Stammheim - Flaach
Flaach – Schlatt
Category: Schlatt: Shared room, Hemishofen & Flaach: Straw, Stammheim: Double room
- 4 overnight stays in bed (double or family room) or sleeping on straw. Breakfast included
- Half board in Schlatt
- Rental of the horse and cart including equipment
- Stall for the horse incl. hay, straw and food
- Breakdown service
- Briefing and maps
Things to note
- Sleeping bag not included
- Personal accident insurance and third-party insurance incl. animal holder liability insurance
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!
- Take the train to Schlatt and then after a short bus ride you will arrive at the farm after a few minutes’ walk.
- Parking: free outdoor car parking spaces. No reservation necessary.
- Minimum age: 6 years old.
- Routes: 10 – 20 km per day along quiet side roads and forest paths with signposts.
- Suitable for beginners and families with children.
- Routes are mainly flat with an occasional hill.
On the tours lasting several days you will stay in a variety of different accommodation. You will stay overnight at family farms sleeping on straw or in historical country houses. The first night will always be in a shared room at the stables.
You don’t need any prior experience with horses for this tour. An interest in animals and some dexterity will be advantageous. Along with the travel documents you will get a little instruction manual about how a horse and cart works. You shouldn’t underestimate this tour. The horses are used to having people around them, however it takes discipline and courage to be able to lead the horse properly. It requires a lot of attention and concentration. For the longer tours, it is important to have a good level of fitness.
There is space for a maximum of 5 people including luggage in the carts. You are required to have at least 2 adults but max of 4 or alternatively 3 adults and 2 children. One person always needs to walk alongside the horse near its head and hold its halter. At the places you will be staying overnight, there will be a stall reserved for your horse. They will also provide food. You need to look after and feed the horse yourself. You also need to muck out the stall in the morning before you leave.
The program is suitable for children aged 6 years or over. There must be a ratio of one adult to every child. If there are any children under 6 then there must be an additional adult, a child over 14 years old or an assistant. Children younger than 2 are free. Any costs that arise are to be paid directly to the hosts. Children aged 2-6 years old pay the same price as those aged 6-12.
Dogs are allowed on this tour. For hygiene reasons, dogs are not allowed in the straw dormitories but can sleep in the barn or in the stall. If you are staying in hotels and guest houses dogs are allowed at some but not others. They will always be found a place though - either in the house or in the stall.