Horse & Cart Tours Jura Family Tours Grotten-Reclere
Explore the Ajoie up close.
- 3 Days / 2 Nights
- Self-guided tour
- Minimum age: 6 years
Category bed: Hostels, shower & WC can be down the corridor and shared.
Charges for children aged under 6 are to be paid for there.
- 1 Overnight stay as stated incl. breakfast
- Renting of the horse and cart with all necessary equipment
- Stable for the horse as well as hay, straw and horse food
- Extra activities dependant on where you are staying (Chemin de Damas, farm tour, fishing, pony riding, entrance to grottoes and dinosaur park)
- Transfers from the horse boxes to where you will stay overnight
- Breakdown service
- Briefing and route materials
- Picnic basket in Courtedoux
- Rent of the Cabanne du Pilay
Things to note
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!
- Take the train to Porrentruy and then take a bus to Courtedoux. From there you can walk to the farm in a few minutes.
- Parking: free outdoor car parking spaces. No reservation necessary.
- Minimum age: 6 years
- Route: approx. 15 km per day along quiet side roads and forest tracks. The way is signposted.
- Routes are flat or sometimes slightly hilly.
- Meeting point: 10 am at the stables in Courtedoux.
- The program is suitable for children aged 6 years or over. There must be one adult per child. For every child under 6 years of age there also needs to either be an additional adult, child over 14 years or a helper. On tours where you stay in a straw dormitory, children younger than 2 travels for free. Any extra costs are to be paid straight to the hosts there.
An interest in animals and some dexterity will be advantageous on this tour. The routes via Réclère are in bad condition in places and involve some ascents. We only recommend that you do the routes via Réclère if you are an experienced with horses and have been on horse and cart holidays before. As the distances are longer on the adventure tours, we recommend that you only do them if you have a good level of fitness. You will get detailed information about what you will need to know upon arrival. The horses are used to having people around them, however it takes discipline and courage to be able to lead the horse properly.
Toétché, smoked sausages, wine and cheese! At the Gourmet Pack you will get your money's worth. Your hosts will prepare a picnic basket of Jura specialties for you. In addition, we reserve a picnic area near Courtedoux. This has a fireplace, a toilet and covered seats, so you can make comfortable even in bad weather.
The path to Réclère is quite strenuous. That’s why you can take a break there to visit the grottoes and the dinosaur park. In the afternoon you can visit the farm run by the Aebi family where you will be spending the night in a ‘straw dormitory’.
You will stay overnight in country inns, simple hotels or on family run farms in ‘straw dormitories’. Showers and toilets are not always in your room and if you are on the straw tour then they are normally in the house next to where you will be sleeping. If you are at a family farm you can usually pre-order dinner or cater for yourselves. You will be at an altitude of over 1000 metres. In the Spring and the Autumn, it can get cold at night so please make sure you bring a suitable sleeping bag with you.
There is space for a maximum of 5 people including luggage in the carts. You are required to have at least 2 adults but max of 4 or alternatively 3 adults and 2 children. One person always needs to walk alongside the horse near its head and hold its halter. At the places you will be staying overnight, there will be a stall reserved for your horse. They will also provide food. You need to look after and feed the horse yourself. You also need to muck out the stall in the morning before you leave.