Germany’s loveliest river.
- 7 Days / 6 Nights
- Self-guided tour
- Minimum age: 6 years
Arrival in Treuchtlingen
The tour starts in Treuchtlingen. If you want, you can spend the evening at the thermal spa or you could visit a bavarian beer garden.
In the morning you will get your canoe and you can set off. The river is extremely still for the first kilometres and its runs through open land. Soon after setting off you will see the castle near the town called Pappenheim. It is a perfect place for a break and you can even take a walk up to the castle. Once you get back to your canoe, you have not got much further to go until you get to your accommodation.
In the morning you will go past a rock formation called the “twelve apostles”. Take your time to enjoy the view. After a few kilometres things get exciting because there are two canoe slides there for you! To use them you need a bit of courage and to be good at maneuvering the canoe. If you don’t fancy it, you can carry your canoe around it and then get back on the river. Shortly after the canoe slides you will arrive in Dollnstein.
Dollnstein – Eichstätt
Shortly after Dollnstein the 45-meter-tall rock form is awaiting you. Bit by bit throughout the day the valley opens up. Just before Eichstätt you will see the Willibaldsburg, which is spur castle. Soon you will have made it. Eichstätt is a bubbly little town with lots of cafes and restaurants. After having been in much smaller places over the last few days, this is a welcome change. You are sure to have a good evening here!
Eichstätt – Kipfenberg
Time to leave the town and dive back into the nature! You can have a look at a Roman castle in Pfünz. It has partially been rebuilt and is open to visitors. Afterwards you leisurely canoe through one of the loveliest nature protection areas in Bavaria. There is another fortress up above the market town of Kipfenberg. Take a walk up to it and then enjoy the view!
Kipfenberg – Beilngries
Your tour on the river Altmühl seems to have been much longer than just 6 days. We didn’t over hype it - the river’s peace is transferred to all of its visitors. The Main-Danube canal is in front of you and you have left the small valley hill a long way behind you. Your tour ends in a pretty place called Beilngries! You can have a toast one last time to celebrate your successful journey.
Category: Middle class hotels and guest houses
Child prices are valid when they are staying in the same room as 2 fully paying adults
- 6 overnight stays as stated, breakfast included
- Canoes incl. equipment
- Luggage barrels or dry bags
- Luggage transfer between the hotels
- Detailed travel information 1 x per room
- Service hotline
Return transfers Beilngries – Treuchtlingen costs approx. EUR 49 per person. Reservation necessary. Payable on site
Things to note
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!
- Fly to Nuremberg or Stuttgart.
- Take the train to Treuchtlingen and then walk for a few minutes to your hotel.
- Parking: free car parking spaces at Treuchtlingen station. Reservation is not possible.
- Return to Treuchtlingen by train and bus. This takes approx. 40 minutes from Eichstätt or about 2 hours from Beilngries.
- Minimum age: 6 years.
- Requirements: Basic level of fitness and swimming skills.
- The Altmühl is a quiet river - it is also suitable for those with no experience.
- Tour length: approx. 83 km.
- Hours of canoeing per day: 4-6 hours.