Canoe & Cycle Altmühltal
Germany’s loveliest nature park.
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self-guided tour
- Minimum age: 6 years
Arrival in Treuchtlingen
You can go to a small thermal spring in this small Bavarian town.
Once you have been given your rental equipment you head down the Altmühl through open terrain, which will get hillier once you approach Pappenheim. After visiting the famous ‘Pappenheimer Burg’ (a castle), you don’t have far left to canoe before arriving at your accommodation.
In the morning you will go past a rock formation called the “twelve apostles”. Later on, today two boat slides will create a splash of change! In Dollnstein there is a well-maintained ruined fortress that watches over this picturesque little town.
Shortly after Dollnstein the 45-meter-tall rock form is awaiting you. Bit by bit the valley opens up, which previously formed the ancient Danube valley. The stretched-out entrance to Eichstätt is a lovely end to this stage.
You switch to cycling today. Shortly after setting off you will get to the reconstructed Roman castle ‘Vetoniana’. You then continue through the charming nature park, which is characterised by the juniper meadows. You then go past Kipfenburg fortress and then arrive in Beilngries, a well-maintained medieval town.
Beilngries - Kelheim
Today’s first stop is in Dietfurt. The Rhine-Main-Danube canal is here too. Prunn fortress and the stalagmite caves are both worth a visit before you continue to Kelheim. You will be able to see the ‘Befreiungshalle’ way upon Mount Michelsberg from afar.
Kelheim - Regensburg
Today’s stage is shorter but very interesting. You will go past Weltenburg monastery. If you would like to visit it, you can cross the river with the ferry. At ‘Donaudurchbruch’ the Altmühl flows into the Danube valley. Shortly after this you will arrive in Regensburg’s old town.
Category: Middle class hotels and guest houses
Child prices are valid in 3-person or 4-person canoes and when the children are staying in the same room as two full paying adults.
- 7 overnight stays as staded incl. breakfast
- Canoes incl. equipment
- Rental bike from Eichstätt (7- or 21- gear, or child bike, surcharge for E-bike)
- Luggage transfer between the hotels
- Detailed travel information 1 x per room
- Service hotline
Things to note
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!
- Fly to Nuremberg or Stuttgart.
- Take the train to Treuchtlingen and then walk for a few minutes to your hotel.
- Parking: free car parking spaces at Treuchtlingen station.
- Return to Treuchtlingen by train. Journey takes approx. 2 hours.
- Minimum age: 6 years.
- Requirements: Basic level of fitness and swimming skills.
- The Altmühl is a quiet river - it is also suitable for those with no experience.
- The bike rides mainly go along good quality cycle paths with a good surface. Well-suited for families.