Walking through mountain pastures in the Salzkammergut
Cow bells, wooden huts and tasty Alm lunches.
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Self-guided tour
- Minimum age: 8 years old
Arrive to Lake Wolfgangsee.
You will set off from Lake Wolfgangsee’s shore and then you will head up to your first Alm and wildlife zone Kleefeld. Here you can expect to see numerous wild animals like roes, deer or ibexes. You will also find a play area here if you are still feeling energetic. You will then walk to the Schartenalm, which is located in an idyllic situation between steep, towering mountain tops. On your way back, you will go past a snack area that serves wild game that they breed themselves and that has a wonderful view over St. Wolfgang
Today your route will lead you up to the Alms in the Osterhorn area. But before you start your hike you will be transferred to the cosy village of Hintersee. After a short stretch along the exciting adventure trail WaldWasserZaub Hintersee, the trail climbs toward the Genneralm. You hike along the rushing Lämmerbach stream through cooling forests to your destination of today. You will stay here overnight for 2 nights. It is a cosy Alm located in a meadow area and crowned by numerous peaks.
Today you have lots of possibilities: either you can have a chilled-out day at the Alm enjoying Alm life with the cows and seeing the cheese production. Or, you go on a walk to one of the other Alms around. Those brave ones might even climb up to a view point. In the evening you will have a pan of “Kasnockn” (a traditional cheesy dish) for dinner made from cheese made at the Alm.
Genneralm – Postalm
Today’s walk will take you through an idyllic high valley with numerous small alms amidst the mountain sides. Grazing herds of cows line your way, which winds along the numerous ravines towards the expansive area around the Postalm. Here at the Postalm, you will enjoy two further nights at another traditional alm.
Alm tour to the Postalm
If you feel like it, you can either take an easy walk on the alm path with flowers all around or you can go on a more adventurous walk and go up one of the small or larger peaks. There are enough possibilities for today! You should make sure that you visit the dairy maid at the Labenberghütte in order to see the cheese being made. A hearty stop obviously belongs to today. The Postalm chapel was built under the orders of Empress Sissi and is very worth seeing.
At the end of the week, you can either go on another lovely walk down to Lake Wolfgang where you will be staying tonight or alternatively maybe you prefer to take the bus down and go to one of the attractions that your Salzkammergut Card will give you discounts or deals towards. Here you are spoilt for choice: you could take the boat across the lake, take the cog railway up the Schafberg, visit the great children’s play park “Abarena”, have fun in the “Dorf der Tiere” (animal village) or take a ride on a summer toboggan.
Departure organised by you or extension of your stay.
| Season 1 |
05.06.2020 - 14.06.2020
| Season 2 |
15.06.2020 - 28.06.2020
31.08.2020 - 13.09.2020
| Season 3 |
29.06.2020 - 30.08.2020
|Alpine Pasture Walking in the Salzkammergut, 8 days, AT-SKAAL-08X|
|Base price|| |
|Surcharge single room||89.00||89.00||89.00|
|Surcharge half board evening meal 6x (mostly multi-course, sometimes outside the property, payable with voucher)||139.00||139.00||139.00|
|Surcharge half board evening meal 6 x children aged 8-14 (mostly multi-course, sometimes outside the property, payable with voucher)||99.00||99.00||99.00|
Category: 3x 3***-Hotels und guest houses, 4x cosy Alms (huts)
Child prices are valid when they stay in a room with 2 fully paying adults
Only at Lake Wolfgangsee, not when staying at the huts
| Season 1 |
Jun 5, 2020 - Jun 14, 2020
| Season 2 |
Jun 15, 2020 - Jun 28, 2020
Aug 31, 2020 - Sep 13, 2020
| Season 3 |
Jun 29, 2020 - Aug 30, 2020
|Extra night p.p. dbl/bb||55.00||65.00||65.00|
|Extra night sgl/bb||74.00||84.00||84.00|
- 7 overnight stays as stated, breakfast included
- 1x Kasnockn (traditional cheesy dinner) when staying at the Genneralm
- Bus journey Lake Wolfgangsee - Strobl
- Bus journey to St. Gilgen
- Organized bustransfer to Hintersee
- Salzkammergut Erlebnis-Card with lots of discounts for the area (discounts for cable cars, boat journey, on Lake Wolfgang, Schafbergbahn and lots more)
- Luggage transfer between the hotels
- Welcome briefing
- Detailed travel information 1x per room with route maps or overview maps, route description, tourist attractions, important telephone numbers
- Service hotline
- Half-board evening meal (mostly multi-course, sometimes outside the property, payable with voucher)
- Transfers from/to Salzburg airport or station are possible on request
Things to note
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!
- Fly to Salzburg or Munich.
- Arrive by train in Salzburg and then take a bus for about 1 hour to Wolfgangsee. Or take the train to Bad Ischl and then the bus for about 30 minutes to Lake Wolfgangsee. You can be picked up at the bus stop by your accommodation.
- Parking: mainly free car parking spaces and partially public car parking spaces costing about EUR 30 a week. No reservation is possible.
- Minimum age 8 years old.
- Requirements: basic fitness, children should be used to walking for a few hours at a time and have a bit of walking experience. The walks are mainly across meadows, on forest tracks and good paths. And of course, you get wonderful views of the mountains and Lake Wolfgangsee.
- On this particular walking tour you have the option of bringing your 'four-legged friend'. When booking, simply let us know the breed and size of your dog. Possible additional costs are payable locally on site.