Of Dragons, Palaces and Marine Creatures.
- 6 Days / 5 Nights
- Self-guided tour
- Minimum age: 8 years old
Arrival in Königswinter
Arrival in the enchanting Königswinter, you can still take a walk on the Rhine.
Today you are headed for the legendary Mount Drachenfels, probabley the most renowned mountain of the Siebengebirge. It is even considered Germany’s most climbed peak. You are off the the lower terminus of the Drachenfelsbahn-tram. From there you ascend to the Nibelungenhalle-hall. Only the very bravest amongst you dare to visit the dragon in the dragon cave here. Past the reptile zoo and Drachenburg-castle you proceed uphill to Mount Drachenfels. You hike via the Nachtigallental-valley back to Königswinter. If you prefer a more leisurely hike simply cut the ascent short by taking a ride with the Drachenfelsbahn-tram.
Bonn – Königswinter
Gleefully you take a boat ride on the rive Rhine to Bonn in the afternoon. There is time left for you to get to know the city. For instance visit one of the numerous museums, stroll through countless parks or embark on a guided tour for children. After that you learn much about our solar system during the planet-educational trail. Back to Königswinter you walk leisurely along the promenade. Alternative you can start on the morning kick off the hiking tour from Königswinter and proceed along the Rhine to Bonn and then take the boat back on the early afternoon.
After all these enjoyable hiking days you have really earned a break from hiking. But again today an exciting day in Königswinter awaits. You leisurely stroll to the SEA LIFE. There you will experience the colourful underwater world up close! In Germany’s unique 360-degree glass tunnel it will feel just like as if you are under water. Discover more than 2000 animals in 36 aquariums and pool enclosures. Here you can even glance at a ghost ship in the ray-enclosure and watch giant sharks in the 7-metres deep Atlantis-pool. SEA LIFE becomes a particularly impressive experience especially during the allocated feeding times.
The scenery of the Siebengebirge-nature park was shaped by volcanoes and also produced rocks and stones, which were quarried and used to build Cologne cathedral in the Middle Ages. Along the 200 possible hiking kilometres of the Siebengebierge-mountains you keep coming across ancient quarries. You too can discover them during an exciting circular walk around Mount Petersberg today. Past the mystic Haisterbach monastery ruin you walk through the ‚Dollendorfer Hardt‘ with marvellous long-distance views onto the Rhine river valley and the Siebengebirge-mountains. You may even come across a fire salamander or a peregrine, two of over 80 species of fauna and flora which are critically endangered, however can still be found in the Siebengebirge-mountains.
Departure or extension
Unfortunately, even the most beautiful hiking trip has an end or would you like to spend a few more days in the magical Siebengebirge?
Category: 3***-S JUFA hotel Königswinter/Bonn
Child prices valid when staying in a room with 2 full paying adults.
- 5 overnight stays in JUFA Hotel Königswinter/Bonn***-s, breakfast included
- 1x boat ride Königswinter – Bonn
- 1x entrance fee to Sea Life Königswinter
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel information 1x per room with route maps or overview maps,..
- Service hotline
- Half-board evening meal (mostly multi-course from the buffet)
- Ascent by Drachenfelsbahn-tram, approx. EUR 8 per adult and approx. EUR 5 per child up to age of 13, payable on site
- Visit Nibelungenhalle with reptile zoo, approx. EUR 6 per adult and approx. EUR 4 per child up to 14 years, payable on site
- Visit Schloss Drachenburg, approx. EUR 7 per adult and approx. EUR 5 per child, payable on site
Things to note
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!
- Fly to Cologne Airport.
- Arrival by train at Königswinter and then a short walk of approx. 15 minutes to the hotel or by taxi in a few minutes to the hotel, approx. EUR 5 per ride, payable on site.
- Parking: free hotel parking spaces. No reservation necessary.
- Minimum age 6 years old. Younger children might be possible upon request.
- Requirements: basic fitness level and some walking experience. Children should be used to walking a couple of hours at a time.
- You mainly walk along well-maintained hiking paths, roads with very little traffic and along the Rhine-river promenade.