Arrival in Daxstein
Please arrive by 4pm (Sat by 11am) at the donkey farm at the latest - since the basic training for donkey leading starts straight away followed by a small hiking tour. As a reward a delicious Bavarian meal awaits in the evening.
Daxstein – Olivet
In the morning around 10am the first proper hiking tour starts. Together with your donkey, species-appropriate there are always at least two donkeys part of the tour, the route takes you over the ‚Brotjacklriegel‘, steeped in legend, with tower-cafe and observation tower. You get to marvel at a breathtaking panorama over the wonderful hiking region. There is even an adventure trail for children to discover. Leisurely you proceed after the Olivet to the farm „Jodlbauer“.
Olivet – Langfurth
Your donkeys await you already in the morning! Yet another fun-filled hiking day is ahead. Along the direct route to Langfurth it is very quick, but you can extend the route simply with the Büchelstein-loop tour and along it visit the ‚birth place’of the so-called stew ‚Büchelsteiner-Eintopf‘ – we highly recommend you try this at home! Slightly shorter route however with grandiose views is the Steinberg-round trip, which is another hiking option at your disposal.
Langfurth – Riggerding
Not only you get to enjoy a nourishing breakfast – your donkeys too need to start the hiking day well nourished. Just like in all Day Finishes there is a barn with hay and water ready for the lovely donkeys. Then you descend on easy hiking paths towards Riggerding. En route enjoy the beautiful view from the soft rolling hills and the wonderful nature which surrounds you.
Riggerding – Zenting
Gleefully you keep walking to Zenting, which awaits you nestling peacefully in a coomb. Your donkeys are happy to carry your small rucksack for the day again, the main luggage is transported just like on all the other days by our luggage transfer. All around Mount Unteraign you proceed to Zenting. If you wish you are welcome to embark on a detour directly up the mountain. If you however cannot wait to arrive at the beer garden to put your feet up, then you are more than welcome to cut the tour short.
Today a very special Day Finish awaits: the castle ruin Ranfels. The large castle complex dating back to the 12th century even features a church in the centre of it. Walking round the ruins totally takes you back to the Middle Ages. A stunning hiking destination, which must not be missed out on at any rate. There is a wonderful loop path leading you up to the castle ruins, which then taks you back to Zenting. Here in the evening a delicious dinner awaits all hungry hikers.
Surely you got very fond of the donkeys. However today is the start of your final hiking day together with your animal companions. The fastest route back to the donkey farm is along the Goldsteig-path. You still fancy a swim? Then we recommend you take a detour to Lake Ebenreuther See! Or as a crowning glory you ascend to the Aschenstein-summit and hike back via Daxstein to the donkey farm. Anyway, here is the place to say goodbye to your loyal companions and an amazing hiking week.
Easy hiking tours, however a few ascents included, which can be optionally extended or cut short on a day to day basis.
Category: small rural hotels and B&Bs
- 6 overnight stays as stated, breakfast included
- 6x dinner (cold dishes in Daxstein) and packed lunch, drinks excluded
- 1x donkey per 1-3 persons
- Basis course for donkey leading
- Luggage transfer from one hotel to the next
- Detailed tour documents 1x per room
- Service hotline
Things to note
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- Further important information according to the package travel law can be found here!
- Arrival by plane in Munich and then by train and bus in approx. 3 hours to Zenting.
- Arrival by train via Plattling to Deggendorf and from there by bus in approx. 50 minutes toe Zenting. Organised transfer in approx. 30 minutes from Plattling or Deggendorf to the donkey farm possible on requests, cost approx. EUR 25,- per person, up to 4 people, reservation necessary.
- Parking: parking spaces free of charge at the donkey farm, no reservation possible.
- Minimum age 6 years. From the aged of 12 it is possible to lead a donkey.
- Species-appropriate there are always 2 donkeys brought along for each holiday. Hence a minimum of 2 people are needed on the tour, who are able to lead a donkey independently.
- Prerequisites: basic fitness level and hiking experience. Children need to be used to walk a few hours at a time.
- Easy hiking tours, however a few ascents included, which can be optionally extended or cut short on a day to day basis.
- Depending on local circumstances Day Finishes can be swapped on site.
- It is not possible to bring dogs along.